The Flag of Mars, designed by J. Alfary, represents the planet Mars itself and its two moons.
- Red represents the planet Mars, its reddish iron oxide soil, and its rocky surface. The red hoist canton (1st & 2nd Quarter area) represents Olympus Mons, the largest volcano in our Solar
- The three stars represent Mars and its two moons, Phobos and Deimos.
- Green represents the goal of human terraforming and colonization of Mars via human settlements.
- Blue represents water and ice found on Mars and the human goal of turning Mars' sky blue through terraforming and future agriculture.
- The dividing line created by the blue and green sections represent the Valles Marineris, one of the largest canyons in the Solar System.